Thursday, October 23, 2008

Inside the Hirschhorn Museum/Gallery/Looky Building Thing


I mostly love this museum for its lockable lockers, gift shop full of cool kid gifts, and pure freedom of movement. Other than no flash photog or touching the art, you can go and do where/whatever you fancy. In an ambling circular fashion.



Basement level. This was a large rectangle of intestine-shaped clear gel. I know.


Clothes hangers strung together. File under "well, huh. I could do that."


A nice Lichtenstein collection came through Austin last spring - saw it w/Tim.  So I didn't linger as long here.

Upstairs, finally, something actually surprising and delightful.  One of their de Kooning's "Woman" series, 1965.

It was always easy for me to love Frank Stella, with soothing geometrics and craaaazy '60s colors.



English on one curved side, cyrillic on the other. This was my favorite piece of the day, if I had to choose.  

This was my favorite pic of the day, if I had to choose.


I leave you with 3 short videos that perfectly reproduce how I felt, wandering through the gallery that day.

This was the featured exhibit. Mesmerizing.



Shot from the hip as I walked around, including a glimpse at a hypnotic linear Rube Goldburg video on the wall of Peter Fischli and David Weiss' The Way Things Go.



The original:
.