Tuesday, October 14, 2008

DC, Day Two: Lisa's Rehersal Dinner

 

It was at the Metropolitan Club, a block from the New Exec. Office Building. There was a slide show in an anteroom, with rotating pics of Nick and Lisa as children (mostly Dhaka photos, one with me and Lis circa 1975). One of Lisa's best friends remarked full volume as she walked in, "What kind of stuck-up, conservative, stuffy place is this?!" But it was beautiful inside, all marble and guilt gilt. Like the set of Monty Python's Cocktail Bar ("More lemming, sir?" "Oh, just a squeeze, Harry" [SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK]).

Lisa was struck by Francesca: "...his incredibly beautiful, poised, amazing oldest daughter, who is just such an utter delight."

Francesca and I snuck off into the library, which was huge, with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves: 
"I don't think we're supposed to be in here, Dad." "I know. Smile."


She makes the world glow.


Yes, that's the Virgin Queen behind me there.
And an endless magazine rack, updated daily.

Dinner was amazing: Washingtonian haut cuisine, including a beautifully constructed vegetarian number.
The evening cranked up with round after round of speeches, accolades, blessings, and toasts, ending with Lisa and Nick giving out prizes. I tied Maude and her spouse for "people with the same wedding anniversary." Got me a big box of liquor-filled chocolates.


I wish these pics did justice to how gorgeous Lisa and her friends and family looked. Such a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful evening.