Thursday, June 05, 2008

I Brewed (You're Doing It Wrong)

Last batch was a supra-malt gem of a Munich Caramel Vienne beer so delicious I drank pretty much the whole thing by myself in 3 weeks. (Yeah, well, plus I had New Job stress. Don't do the math.)

Attempting to reproduce it, I bought most of the same ingredients, only using Safale S-33 instead of their dry version of American 1056 (jargonoff alert: this is yeast talk). Plus 2 oz. of black market fresh Cascade hops.

Beer glass alarmingly low. Last of the last batch from a bottle I stashed in the back of the cupboard. Some people don't drink while brewing, as a rule. Good on ya, and go 'head knock your bad ass self out with that, I say.


So far so good. Shortly after this photo was taken, it starts to go all Mars Climate Orbiter on me.

Litany of errors:
- Using the late-addition method, I added the 1 lb. of extract with burners on full blast. Expected pot-blackening hilarity ensued.
- Boil complete, I cranked up the wort chiller, and while cleaning up a little, discovered the rest of the malt extract.
- By now she's cooled to about 150 degrees. So I switch off the hose, and light the burners again, in an attempt to boil the syrup for 15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, things seem quiet. Too quiet. Sure enough: out of fuel.

See that white container, on top of the empty propane tank? 5 pounds of spaced malted barley syrup.

Anyhoosle, managed to wrap it up 2 hours later than usual, which means 2 extra hours of sorrows-drowning opportunities. Painful day at the office seemingly immediately followed.

But hey - that yeast finished in 3 days. I know. Kegged it last week, and am now clarifying by draining the sediment off the first few glasses. Pretty ding dang yummy so far. Watch here for updates.