Friday, May 23, 2008

Awesome Canadian Fridays - Mary Margaret O'Hara

Few people have the genuine, sincere ability to exactly vocalize the thrash and motions of your psyche, in that unique desperate chaotic granular abandon behind your eyes.

In 1989 I was working at the D.C. Tower Records. The art department came out with that week's issue of new release posters (cut from colored foam board, the words and images all stacked up on each other). Mary Margaret O'Hara's "Miss America" looked intriguing to me, so I cued up my employee selection. An hour later a winnowy, sometimes stuttered/sometimes bowed-saw vox rolled out, twisting through the genre rooms on each floor. I immediately bought that strange little tape, and copied lyrics from it to the backs of postcards. A few months later, I was in Austin. With those keening hiccups along for the ride in my head.
I remember getting the same feeling from Mary Margaret's voice that I got discovering Kate Bush.


PS she's Catherine O'Hara's sister. Did not know that till today.