Tuesday, March 13, 2007

SXSW Interactive and the 0 to 1 Flip

Bill C is in town for the fest.



Eerie. This is one of those issues that he wrote for me, specifically. I'm sure of it. Doesn't help that Ze Frank's eyes bore a hole in my soul. Watch - you'll see what I mean.

Here's a transcribed portion that hit especially deep:

"I'm in Austin, TX right now, at a festival called SXSW.

...Sometimes I think about confidence - what it takes to get from 0 to 1.

It seems like what you think about creativity can effect that confidence. There's a book edited by Robert Sternberg that deals with psychological research into creativity.

One of the articles says that one of the only reliable indicators for increased creativity (however they measure it) is a person's belief that creativity is something you can work on, and change. Confidence about gaining confidence.

For me, that's the interesting battleground - fighting against things I don't think are possibilities. Not with the goal of suddenly having an inflated sense that you know you can do something.

But instead, just to get that glimmer of hope of possibility. To move from 0 to 1.

Those battles of confidence are what make that word 'creativity' so terrifying for me...just finding the battleground seems to be a step in the right direction.

I'm interested in this flip from 0 to 1, this confidence to start things.

Because I look at creative projects like they were sudoku puzzles: you can stare at them all you like, but you won't suddenly see all the numbers.You have to start. You have to find one box to fill in. And from that, another on reveals itself. You may not be able to solve all of them. But as long as you know it's possible, you'll keep trying.

And no matter how many you solve, each new one begins with a bunch of empty spaces.

0 to 1."


Only two issues left 'til the end of The Show. I don't understand. I need it to go on forever.